Quick update to what’s going on within your UNISON Branch. As you know we normally like face to face updates but for some reason at present this is difficult. I want to start by thanking all UNISON members working in whatever capacity during this crisis and sending thoughts to all members of the NHS family who have personal experience of the illness and perhaps subsequent personal tragedy. Love and solidarity to all.
The Branch had a significant impact on the LGI canteen reopening. Thank you to all members who contacted us at the time and to all activists who made it known to the powers that be that it wasn’t perhaps the greatest decision.
The Branch has also met with members of the Trust board regarding Health & Safety protocols in theatres. Credit to the managers who have listened to direct shop floor experience and implemented amendments.
The Branch is still looking after individual members and providing support with the various day to day cases. Shout out to Branch Secretary (Denise) and office manager (Pat) for keeping the ship afloat whilst many other representatives have been called back to clinical work. Many of these individual cases revolve around corona issues such as grey areas on PPE guidance & bespoke risk assessments. Many issues such as routine attendance management meetings are on pause.
The Branch have stayed in contact with Leeds Trades Council and contributed to their virtual public meeting recently. https://leedstuc.wordpress.com/
On wider matters the Branch are currently debating issues looking at:
* Supporting campaigns to wipe out nursing and allied health professional tuition debt. The same generation of nurses who first had to pay tuition fees are now the generation putting their studies on hold to support the front line. https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/apr/21/we-are-risking-our-lives-support-grows-to-cancel-student-nurses-debt
* Affiliating to the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign. https://www.palestinecampaign.org/
* Affiliating to Jewish Voice for Labour. https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/
* Donating financially to the local Trussell Trust food bank. https://www.trusselltrust.org/
* Donating a significant sum to “There for You” the UNISON welfare charity which is supporting bereaved members families during this crisis. https://www.unison.org.uk/get-help/services-support/there-for-you/
Hopefully, that’s enough to keep you updated for now. If you need to, please get in touch.
As part of our response to the coronavirus, UNISON Teaching Hospitals have had to take the difficult decision to suspend all work performed from the Branch Office.
We appreciate how frustrating this will be for you and would like to express our sincere apologies. We have not taken this decision lightly and would reassure you that we are taking all necessary steps for you to be able to contact us for any advice during this unprecedented time.
If you need to contact us during the hours of 9:00am and 5 :00pm Monday until Friday please ring
07961 348 348 OR
07961 348 368
Or email: email@example.com
UNISON Branch Chair